Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Sound of white water roaring in my ears, beams of sun reflecting off of my sun glasses, and majestic canyon walls shooting up to the sky, this was the scene of my ever approaching death. Unlike popular belief my life did not flash before my eyes, contrary to this stereotype, my eyes peered into my oncoming oblivion. Lenny and I paddled our way onto the top of a gigantic wave. The next 10 seconds of my life happened in slow motion. It was paranormal. My head robotictally turned to the left. My cohort, Lenny shot me an expression that is engraved in my mind forever, perhaps my soul too. A tear formed in my eye and began rolling down my cheek. This was a hole. (This is a huge hazard in a river for non-boating folks) I bestowed the name Bertha upon this hole. Myriads of kayakers moments before our descent became appetizers for Bertha. She consumed them into her bosom. We knew the danger that was at hand. Our heads mechanically turned foreword. Our plunge into our death was at hand. Jaws dropped and fear was expressed in the form of vulgar words. In seconds our raft was seven feet down. I assumed fetal position. My glazed with fear eyes glanced at the chicken line. I was glad that our raft was equipped with this most elite valuable piece of gear. This rope lined the raft was only "chickens" grasp onto this rope. I would rather let my pride then then lose my entire life. My hands clenched the line of rope forcefully. I looked up to see my intimate doom approach. It was a white darkness. I wave of white water several feet tall towered over me. A wall of water shook me and made my ancestor's tremble. Bertha grasped the raft as a whole and inhaled it into her unforgiving bosom. Ice cold water from the Yampa River entered into my ear's as if it were an invited guest. My dry suit's purpose seemed to be no more. It felt as if my body became a measly piece of laundry and tossed into a dryer. Bertha violently shook me, but she could not pry my finger tips from the chicken line. Looking back, that chicken line was more of a life line for me. I was in no control of my body at this point. In this rush I wondered why was i being shaken so much and not just spit out of Bertha. I came to the verdict that this was God's way of washing me before I ascended into Heaven. The song November Rain by Guns 'n Roses began playing mentally in my head. My body was slowly rising. The thunderous sounds of Hell's forge consumed my thoughts. I could hear once again, granted the sounds were not beauty but that meant I was on the surface of the water. My eyes shot open, yet I could not yet see anything. Air filled my once depleted lungs. I gasped. My life had been spared. Once the water cleared from my glasses I looked across from me. I peered and saw my companion trembling with fear."Lenny I love you!" I yelled."Nick I love you too!" Lenny shot back.Just like before our eyes met. We then realized that we were not done with our journey. Bertha kept us in her bosom. We were surfing. She had not spat us out just yet. She wanted to have some fun with us. We had no choice. Lenny and I carefully crawled to each other for a hug of brotherly love. We had eluded death together, and now we were stuck surfing together until Bertha did not want to play with our semi naked bodies anymore.

2 comments:

  1. Nick, this is an amazing piece of writing. I my self have experinced the power of river water, and experinced a life and death experince when thrown in to the rapids of the Popagie. This piece of writing for me was very easy to realate to. Over all I really enjoyed it but I hope that farther into your paper you could explain how this experince affected your life, and how it has changed you as a person. I think this would really help your paper and would really make for a solid piece.
    Great Job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. "I would rather loose my pride then then lose my entire life." --loose not let

    "A wave of white water several feet tall towered over me." --- A not I

    good job nick, very descriptive, I felt like I was drowning with you, remember to tell me how it affected your life though.

    this reminds me of a story I read about a girl who died on a NOLS corse in a river crossing, she was one of the few if not the only person who ever died while on a corse, and I remember when this happend and how it affected my dad, I'm so glad u survived this.

    ReplyDelete