Tuesday, November 3, 2009

18th Century

    While searching the extensive internet I stumbled upon some rather interesting information. I went to this one website and found a timeline of writters during that time period. As I very well expected to find free white male after free white male I saw a few women here and there. Someone actually took the time to reconize them. I was shocked. The way society treated women back in that day was harsh. I am suprised that they recieved some recongition. The same for blacks and people of other orgin then anglo-saxon. There was actually some content from these other author's who were scroned at just for being alive at the time.

    Most famous works during the 18th century come from the American Revolution. Suprising? I think not. That was the highlight of the 18th centruy. It is like watching a long boring movie just for the epic climax. It was the climax of the time so one could expect that some of the most famous pieces of writting came from then.

    Another thing that I found very suprising was the fact that little articles in papers were given credit. During the 18th century people fed off of reading little articles and pamphlets. In present day people are not remembered because they worte some news paper article. During the 18th century however, Common Sense and other pieces of work were major turning points in history and changed the land that we call home.

 

http://pip.shsu.edu/~eng_wpf/amlitchron_18th.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_literature

http://www.britannica.com/EBchecked/topic/19939/American-literature/42250/The-18th-century

http://www.en.utexas.edu/amlit/periods.htm

1 comment:

  1. Very Informative. I did not realize the diversity of american writers during the 18th century nor did i realize the importance of media other than full on novels. I would be interested in knowing all the kinds of media that one printing press would be responsible for printing. At the time there couldntve been an abundance of presses and I would imagine that one press would be used by many people to print many different kinds of media. The owner would probably lease out the machine in order to pay the original cost of the machine. I would bet that the vast majority of a press's work would be pamphlets and fliers, rather than full volumes.

    ReplyDelete